It’s almost January, which means Solo & Ensemble season for the Ohio Music Education Association is soon upon us! For our local, Central Ohio customers in OMEA District 15, the event date is Saturday, January 27. Here are some reminders to make sure that this busy day goes smoothly for you and your students:
1) Make sure that your student is playing from an original copy, not a photocopy, of music (even if you have purchased the music, copying it and playing from a photocopy is an infringement of copyright law).
2) Similarly, make sure the judge has an original score (with measures numbered!) from which to read.
3) Make sure that your student is playing from the correct edition of their music. To check the list of approved editions, follow these steps:
– Visit the OMEA Solo and Ensemble page
– Under High School, select “Search HS Required list,” or Junior High, select “Search JH Suggested list”
– Click “search,” choose your area, then select your instrument
– Select the event and class, then click “search”
– Click on the title of the piece (they will be listed alphabetically by title), then “View Approved Editions”
4) Contact us with any questions you may have about OMEA music! We are happy to help you, and can be reached at 1.800.42.MUSIC using any of the following extensions, or via email:
– ext 1: Choral and Classical Vocal (firstname.lastname@example.org)
– ext 2: Instrumental (email@example.com)
– ext 3: Piano and Guitar (firstname.lastname@example.org)